Healthy breakfast is my go to for a day full of energy and activeness. Such is the breakfast option, Vermicelli Upma, which is made with lot of vegetables in it. It is popular among kids as well and gives them a meal full of nutrition. This can be had as a whole meal in lunch, dinner, breakfast or evening snack. This Vermicelli Upma recipe is even healthier as the vermicelli I have used here is made of semolina. Semolina has healthy carbs and keeps you full throughout the day.
So let’s get ready to cook Vermicelli Upma.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 mins COOKING TIME: 20 mins
- Dry Roasted Vermicelli – 1&1/2 cup
- Desi Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Potatoes – 1/2 cup chopped into small pieces
- Onions – 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Carrots – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Beans – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Peanuts – 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dal – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped for garnishing
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Green chillies finely chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon squeezed for seasoning
Method to Cook:
Firstly, take a pan. Boil the vermicelli in some water. Don’t over cook it else they break. Add some oil while boiling, it keeps them separated.
Meanwhile, take another pan. Heat it and add the desi ghee. When ghee is melted, add mustard, peanuts and urad dal. Saute a bit and then add chopped onions, green chillies, and all the vegetables. Saute for a while.
Now add all the masalas and salt to taste. Cover the pan lid and cook till all the vegetables are soft. Don’t over cook them. When the vermicelli is boiled, drain the remaining water.
Add the vermicelli to cooked vegetables. Cover the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with the garnish of coriander leaves and squeeze some lemon to give the tangy flavor.